Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Movies



Blog post #4 of 365

I love movies. I watch a variety of genre and I am pretty much open to watching any movie.
I have this opinion that you get what you pay. That being said TV movies are free and therefore usually fluff. I enjoy fluff now and then. The good thing about a TV movie is I can record it and watch it whenever. I can also watch part of it and delete the other half if it is that bad without guilt. I expect low budget although movies don’t always need a big budget to be good. I expect bad acting although some are surprisingly good. I expect a happily ever after and I am usually not disappointed. Some are written after a news story but unfortunately I have usually heard too many details to be entirely entertained. Usually they are predictable anyway so I get what I pay for.

My son has Netfilx. He lets me have access so I can watch what I want, when I want. So I never have to miss a movie even when I don’t have time for a movie in the theater. I discovered though that I’d rather go to a movie theater.  This took some thought to figure out why because I don’t like spending money, I hate theater snacks and other movie goers tend to be inconsiderate. All of the cards are stacked in the direction of not going to a theater. I really had to ponder what draws me there.

Here is what I came up with after my pondering. I found a few pros and cons. I always go to a matinee which is fairly cheap but not free. I do get free passes because I have gotten to know the managers and they like input on new employees, conditions and service which if asked I am willing to give. I earn money on the rewards program. I do have a comfortable chair at home. Unfortunately the house is not climate controlled. It is an older house and the living room is further from the heating and cooling units which mean it is the coldest or the hottest room. I smuggle in my own snacks (mostly nuts and fruit) because I carry a purse and love nuts and fruit. I can’t stop inconsiderate people from being inconsiderate. So why do I like to see a movie in the theater?

I figured it out in church. This little kid gave me a quizzical stare as the prayer was being said. I had my eyes open. I always have my eyes open during prayer these days. The kid catching my eye gave a big squeeze to his eyes and then looked up again; I think to see if I had closed mine. It made me analyze why I had my eyes open. I did close my eyes and my mind began to wander so in only a matter of seconds I opened my eyes again. I quickly discovered I was watching the prayer givers mouth move as he spoke. I was better able to concentrate on what he was saying. It is the same in the theater. For the most part I have nothing to distract me. It becomes dark and I can be “alone” with my movie. Okay there are the rude people but more often than not you can shush them and they quiet down.

I also discovered at home I usually watch movies at night where I can shut off the lights and have fewer distractions like phones, family members, dogs, neighborhood sounds etc. If I am watching during the day I have those same distractions but I also find there are other things that catch my eye and my mind, mostly things to do. I also found those other distractions (phones, people, etc.) are louder and more frequent during the day. I do not live alone so there are people here who think the best time to start up a conversation is mid movie.

In a nutshell I go to a movie theater because I get a controlled environment, fairly comfortable chair, it is dark even during the day, I can eat the snacks I prefer, I can usually watch in peace but I also get away from the to do list as I watch the movie!  What could be better?

1 comment:

  1. I like to go to a theater over watching at home for some of the same reasons you mention. While I can control my climate, I cannot control the chaos that usually surrounds me. Also, the larger screen, the darkness and the LOUDNESS are a huge factor for me. Because I am mostly deaf I have to have our TV/Stereo system turned up loud enough that you can hear from the outside! That stinks. And even then I cannot always understand what is being said.
    That being said, however, I almost never go to the theater because of the cost. Over the last year DH has taken a kid or three out to the movies without me. He has seen the new Batman, MIB3, Skyfall, and a few others (I don't care about) without me. The last time this happened I did "yell" at him so maybe I'll get to go to a movie soon... who knows?
    Anyway, I watch what I like at home and right now it's Christmas movies. :)

    ReplyDelete