Saturday, December 15, 2012

Expectations

Blog Post #17 of 365

Sometimes we we expect more from others because we would be willing to do that much for them. I'm pretty sure that isn't how it is supposed to work but I can understand how upsetting it can be when you feel like someone is doing the minimum when you know you would never do that in their stead.

Unfortunately I've been disappointed too many times not to set my expectations low. It sounds bad but then again I am usually pleasantly surprised when they surpass my expectations. Sadly pleasant surprises aren't always the case.

I try to lead by example. How can I expect much from anyone when I am not willing to give everything I can beforehand? This doesn't always work but I wonder how much stems from laziness. We have instant and automatic everything these days. Nobody has to hand wash anything because they have a cycle for that, nobody bathes in a stream or cooks over a fire unless they are camping in the woods. Most people I know use a camper/trailer or at least bring along the camp stove. We are spoiled which can make us pretty lazy. 

So this year as I prepare for Christmas I don't expect much. I am painting many gifts and focus my giving efforts on the little ones. My kids are underemployed and they are usually the ones who provide a Christmas surprise for me so if I get anything I will be in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment