Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fear

Blog post #8 of 365

 We fear what we do not know.

Some things I do not what to know. Like where the spider will crawl when I am asleep or when the mood swing of an abusive person will kick in. I have other fears besides spiders and abusive people but I won't go into it here... maybe later, but I know why I fear spiders and abusive people. I have valid reasons and therefore will avoid both in my home. It is a logical decision.

I read a Facebook post this morning about fear and our culture. As I read the post I was prompted to pass it on here in my blog. (I'm not sure who or if anyone reads my blog but I am hopeful if someone does they will understand my point a view.)

     "Our culture has accepted two huge lies:
     1. If you disagree with someone's lifestyle you must fear or hate them.
     2. To love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do.
     Both of these concepts are nonsense. You do not have to compromise your personal convictions to be compassionate."

I do not believe everyone in our  culture has accepted those lies. Sadly many have which is their choice. (I covered choice in a previous post.) Worse are those who sit behind religion as a way to justify fear and hate. Thankfully my religion does not promote hate. There are however people in every religion who use their "religious beliefs" to pass judgements and perpetuate fear and hate. I am Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or sometimes referred LDS or a "Mormon."  I do not fear or hate based on someone's lifestyle. It is not my place to judge. I will always try to be compassionate, sometimes I may fail but I won't give up trying.

Going back to the belief that we fear what we do not know, I find if I feel myself becoming fearful of anyone or anything I am going to investigate to discover why I hold that fear. However it is also sometimes difficult to understand why others may not make the same seemingly logical choices as I do with regarding my own personal fears. Just because I do not understand their decision does not mean I would attempt to judge anyone for not making choices I would not make. I will try to be compassionate and yet hold to my personal convictions on these points.

I love many people with whom I do not hold the same beliefs or choices. It does not make me love them less.

We can't stop fear but we can understand it. We have to try to remove hate. It is an ugly way to be. Being a little compassionate can go a long way to changing the face of hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment