Friday, December 14, 2012

More on Fear

Blog post 16 of 365

There are dangers in this world.We hear about them every day. On December 14, 2012 a gunman walked into an elementary school and killed 26 people and injured others in Newtown, CT. School children all over the nation will worry next week as they enter their schools.

I could go into more horror stories but that one is the biggie of the day. Where am I going with this? I believe children across the nation have felt safe at school. After Columbine every district took steps to make their schools a safe place for kids yet today we know it wasn't enough and school may always remain a fearful place for some.

The point is we choose how we react to these situations. Our reaction is fear based. There will always be dangers. We can't bubble wrap our kids or lock them away. I for one want my grandchildren to play and be kids. I also want to them to be safe and grow to be adults. I also know I can't protect them against every evil thing and person.

Danger is real. Learning to deal with it responsibly and well is a tricky thing I believe everyone must try to accomplish.

Do I have fears? Heck yes! Do I let them rule my life? Heck no! Do I take precautions? Yup, wherever possible. I choose to pray for those who lost family and friends today that they might find comfort. I choose to try to live without the added fear of what if!

No comments:

Post a Comment