Friday, July 26, 2013

Victim Or Victor

Blog post #252 of 365

Crap happens. It seems sometimes that the best people I know have more or the worst crap happen to them. However we are not victims if we do not dwell on these things.

You see we all have agency. We can choose liberty & freedom and do as the Lord would have us do or we can choose captivity & darkness under the influence of the devil. There must needs be opposition in all things and knowing that means sometimes things don't run smoothly in the way you thing they should. We are free to choose to act or to continue to be acted upon. (Reference 2 Nephi chapter 2)

When tragedy happens it can devastate and even paralyze but it doesn't have to last. We have the power to decide how, when or even if we recover when life throws us a wrench.

I recently checked out the music of Hook74 or Michael Rose. He is a double hand amputee who also happens to be a darn good guitar player. He was told he'd never play again. He didn't want to stop so he learned to adapt. He didn't choose to lose his hands but he did choose to make the most of his life afterward.

I have a friend who after much soul searching filed for divorce. You can't make people change and wishing won't make it so. Sometimes you have to take the first step to change your life. He didn't choose to have an unfaithful wife but he did choose to not be taken advantage of any longer. How courageous!

These are just two examples of deciding not to be the victim. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out the next step. Sometimes the hurt is so severe the step is long over due when you take it but it is you choice to move forward.

I hate people who thrive on the drama of their trauma. Well hate is a strong word. But I am so annoyed with people who thrive on the attention they willing throw on themselves. Like, "I just had surgery" which translated means I want attention for some people. Recently I had a family member complaining that she was in so much pain she was on bed rest and couldn't shower or bend over. It was a tubal-ligation with little puncture holes not a six inch incision from a c- section. But she thrives on the attention. "I'm in pain" gets her.

Really I'd rather be known for the good and kind parts of my life. Luckily I have those to draw on. I'd rather not be the one with the spotlight on them but if I get attention I'd rather have attention for good wouldn't you?



No comments:

Post a Comment