Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Our Dryer

Blog post #228 of 365

In 1980 my mom met and married my step-dad. Part of the yes was him acquiring a new dryer. She had no desire to hang clothes on the line forever. That was 32 years ago. They purchased a service agreement and have kept the same dryer all these years!

Last year the lint tray began to break down. It tore down one side and this year the handle snapped off. I called for service. They gave me a lint tray and checked out the old beast. They discovered I was dealing with a wonky door. It opened and shut fine. However it had a fold down door and it would at times drop if enough weight were set on it. Enough weight being wet jeans or a wet towel so not much weight. They sent away for parts and that was that. A week later they call and say we are giving you a replacement dryer.

During this service call my sister was visiting from Australia and I was recently in the accident. I have also since had my second surgery of the year.

Friday I went to pick out the new dryer. We found one we liked and bought it. I explained we had tight quarters, an 1930's house, and that delivery might be tricky, They said, "no problem." They to expect a call between six and nine with a delivery time for Saturday but if there was a problem we could change the time. They were wrong. Apparently if you aren't going to be there when they want to come you have to schedule a different day with the same process. The call center is farmed to a foreign country with poor communication skills and a sour script. Basically repeating everything I said. I called the sales department directly and they called the dispatchers or warehouse or whatever and we got switched to Sunday delivery after two. They are supposed to call an hour before arrival so I know when to expect them and then again when they arrive so I can cage my dogs.

So Sunday arrives. They just knock on the door no warning an hour before. No heads up to cage the dogs, nothing! They see the tight quarters and say they can't take the washer out to make room to remove the old dryer because the pipes are old. Well duh, the house was built in the 30's! "You'll need a plumber to come put in new pipes" so he can come back a different day to remove the washer & old dryer to put in the new dryer.  He also said he couldn't hook up the gas line because it is too old too and could be dangerous. He quickly walks away to call his supervisor who then asks to speak to me on the phone. Once on the phone proceeds to tell me exactly what the installer said. By then I had my son disconnecting the washer. I told the supervisor who then tells me he needs to 'verify' what I said from his installer. Really? Did he think I was a liar?

So the washer and dryer are out and the new dryer is put in. He again tells me I need a new gas line and he "can't risk the liability" of the old line. Then he proceeds to give it a good yank but the line held tight. So he installs it and brings the washer in so my son can again hook it up. You know those old pipes are probably ready to bust any second, not!

Once I discovered I was having a new dryer put in I put feelers out to see if anyone wanted the old dryer. It works perfectly and even has a new lint screen. My sort of relative says her mom needs one. But backs out when 'Mom' finds it is free and older she backed out. The day the dryer is being delivered about 4 hours before. So, if she needs it and it works why back out like that, really? Makes me want to cry that they waited so long. Inconsiderate really. Again I put out feelers but with no takers meant that the old dryer goes to the recycling center. What a waste...

My new dryer is pretty but way to low to the ground. I need a pedestal. Until then I will make due.

I finally go to do a load and discover my son forgot to turn the water back on...

No comments:

Post a Comment