Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Wave and a Smile

Blog post #239 of 365

Recently I read that people who tried and failed at suicide said if even a stranger had seen them. Truly seen them and acknowledged them in any way they would have reconsidered suicide.

By "seen and acknowledged" them some said a nod, smile, wave, a thank you at a held door, etc. could have made a world of difference. Most of them interviewed said they almost instantly felt regret at the attempt.

So from now on I am going to pretend I still live in Oklahoma where in most small towns everyone waves at everyone because in those small towns you are either visiting someone they know or could become a neighbor. I will wave, smile, nod my head, greet, say hello, etc to every stranger I meet. I always say thank you so I have that one down but I will endeavor to do better in hopes of brightening someone's day. Help them feel acknowledged, seen.

I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment