Thursday, July 4, 2013

Patriotism

Blog Post #230 of 365

Independence day! I love the day any nation can come together and unite in celebration. And fireworks are grand.

The other day I was reading a post on Facebook about patriotism and what it means. Then there was a long string of arguments about what is and is not patriotism. It got heated and kind of made me sad.

I looked it up. Defined patriotism is 'love or devotion to one's country.'

We don't all love the same way. We don't all show our love the same way. How can one say they are more patriotic than anyone else. It isn't about serving your country, plastering red white and blue all over or hanging the flag on every patriotic holiday. It is about a true happiness is where we live. Not the government but the place.

I love America. I am proud to be an American. Do I think less of any other country? Not really. I have never lived anywhere else so I cannot judge and I don't expect you to judge unless you live here too.

I haven't served in the military but I am supportive of those who do even if I don't agree with what or where this nations leaders sends them.

I love the flag but I don't hang one because I don't have a proper place and I am happy with my windsock that doesn't require all of the rules the actual flag does.

As stated before I don not always agree with our leaders.

I vote but I don't approve of our system. EC is way out dated and serves no purpose but to tick people off and give others a sense of self importance that isn't real.

Do I consider myself patriotic? Yup. Got a problem with that too bad.

On another note this one stanza just gives me goose flesh...

O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife.
Who more than self, their country love and mercy more than life.
America! America! May God thy gold refine.
Till all success be nobleness and every gain divine.





No comments:

Post a Comment