Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Norm and Don't Stare

Blog post #111 of 365

The other day I heard someone say, "Your kindness is humbling."

At first I thought what a wonderful thing to say.

Then I thought what was so kind that it was humbling to another? Then I found it was someone being sweet to a handicapped neighbor.

Then I thought about it and thought how sad. Why would anyone not be kind to a handicapped neighbor?

Kindness should be the normal not the unusual.

These last two weeks with my niece have been a big learning experience. I have had the opportunity to see people openly stare and even give looks of disgust. Both to me and to her. At first when she was bandaged up the looks were directed to me. The stares always appear to have a question, scorn or insult behind them. Like I had done something to injure her. Now that bandage is gone, the redness has subsided and the stitches are mostly dissolved the looks are directed toward her. More along the lines of pity, sadness and sometimes fear.

Today a young girl stood behind us in a check out line and stared at my niece. I couldn't decipher the look. Probably curiosity. At one point I told a young girl it was okay to ask. She hid.

Honestly what has the world come to that we would make others uncomfortable by staring from our own curiosity, our own fear and worse our kindness.

I am grateful for every kindness. I do not expect kindness but I am rarely humbled by something that should be more natural and normal than unusual. There are people who humble me with their kindness. Especially those that rally for people who can't do it themselves. Those that raise money, volunteer and get down an dirty to make the world a better place.

If someone you meet is different  or scarred and you want to know why ask? Please don't stare. Especially a young child like my niece who didn't ask for this. My niece wasn't born with this scar. It wasn't her fault. She has been teased and stared at for two years now. She is brave and strong and I wish I could make her pain go away. Her bravery humbles me. I would take her scar and her stares for her lifetime if God would permit it.

Please don't stare. I know it is hard sometimes but engaging in conversation is way more polite.

Please make kindness your new normal. I'm working on that one too.




No comments:

Post a Comment