Saturday, March 16, 2013

Forgiveness

Blog post #121 of 365

Forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves.

Forgiveness is necessary but in most cases easier said than done.Why is it necessary to forgive? Well I once heard it put this way. Unforgiveness is choosing to be trapped in a jail cell for a crime someone else committed. Yes, I am aware unforgiveness is not a real word but it fits here.

Holding on to resentments serves nobody, benefits nobody, relieves nobody, prolongs the suffering, can create more resentments, can create more stress ands can cause, increase or prolong health problems.

Forgiveness is when we get to say I have been wronged but that wrong is on you and no longer my burden. Forgiveness is letting go of the hurt.

When someone does something criminal or damaging it is not our place to judge or condemn. It is our place to heal and let go. Healing is never complete if the resentment stays. Forgiveness is not easy but once you do that part of your life becomes easier. There is a freedom in forgiveness.

You don't have to like people to forgive them. It isn't necessary to be friendly with someone who wronged you but it also doesn't mean you can't be civil. I have wronged people and been wronged by people. It took me a long time to figure out that eventually I must always let it go. I am still friends with people I have at some point had to forgive. I mean no human is perfect so who am I to cast stones?

Forgiveness should never be confused with forgetfulness. I can forgive you but it doesn't mean I will forget. Once I do you are open to repeat the hurt you inflicted the first time.

To not forgive leaves the power in the hands of those who did wrong. Take it back. It is yours to keep!

The most important person we can and should forgive is ourselves. We deserve it too. We do it through repentance, love of self, and love of God. He expects us to forgive.






No comments:

Post a Comment