Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Accidents Happen

Blog post #131 of 365

Today I had grand plans but things didn't turn out as anticipated.

My sister and her husband are visiting from Australia. It is his first time in the states and he has expectations. He watches TV and movies and has this picture in his mind of what America is like. He also has a bucket list while he is here. He plans to meet as many family members as possible, try as many foods as he can and see as many sites as he can. He has a few other goals but those are the daily ones.

One goal is to do my dad's temple work. My son had his temple cards. So we needed to travel to Palmdale to get them.

One goal is to eat buffalo meat. They sell buffalo burgers at Charlie Brown's in Littlerock. It is about 12 miles from my son's home.

We decided to kill two birds with one stone.

After traveling for over an hour to meet up with Cody we headed out to Littlerock. Just after entering the city an older Asian woman (read stereotype) in the right hand lane decided it would be good to just turn left. No signal. No warning. Just turned toward me in the left lane. I sped up and changed into the center/turn/suicide lane to avoid getting hit. She still managed to hit me. I just kept saying, "She hit me. Why did she hit me?" We fish tailed a little and thankfully avoided a full on spin. I slowed to a stop and reversed so I could exit the highway, exchange information and had my passengers call 911. My son took photos of her position and we coaxed her off the highway. Wandering around on a highway nicknamed 'Deathtrap Highway' is not a good idea.

We began by calling our insurance company and getting the other driver's information. A little over an hour later the California Highway Patrol arrived to take a report.

By the time we arrived at Charlie Brown's five of our seven occupants were experiencing muscle pain in the neck or back or both. My knee was bugging me too. I asked my son to have my seven month old grandson checked out too. Just in case.

I get that accidents happen but this one could have been avoided had she just stopped or even slowed down a little. I truly feel I did everything in my power to avoid getting hit. I guess my best just wasn't good enough this time.
Our van. Looks like nothing, I know.

Her car. Looks like she banged us hard. She did.

No comments:

Post a Comment