Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Charity

Blog post #43 of 365

Charity is not a bad thing. Without charity how can we follow the teachings of Christ? It is kind of like good and evil. Without evil we wouldn't have good.

It is also about choices. We have this amazing gift of love from God and it is up to us how we use it.

When I see a guy sleeping on the sidewalk or a family sleeping in a car. What do I do? I have options. I can walk away. I can call the authorities who can "help" them. I can offer what I have. Sometimes I feel like walking away is best choice when there might be a danger to myself or to others. Sometimes I think calling in the authorities who have resources and connections I do not possess is the best choice and sometimes I feel like tossing them a blanket, purchasing a sandwich or giving them whatever else I can offer can make a big difference.

I usually trust my instincts. Those too are a gift from God. God allows us to make decisions but He also helps us with instincts. That "follow your gut" feeling we all have. He will help guide us in what needs to happen and what our role can be. Sometimes we don't listen. It is kind of like God is a literal parent and not one of us always follows everything our parents say/ask. (Well there might be someone who has but as far as I know I haven't met them yet.) In truth I believe God expects us to make mistakes and knows we might fall sometimes.

This is the kicker about charity we need to accept it. Sometimes we will be expected to be a recipient. We must be humble enough to be a recipient. How else is God to bless the lives of those who would help us? I believe he puts us in positions where we will need help so we can humble ourselves before Him. Accepting help/charity isn't always easy but it is necessary. I believe that.

I have faith in God that He will always show me the way. He will always provide exactly what I need and it is up to me to be able to recognize when my needs are met. There is a big difference between wants and needs and it is important to distinguish the difference so we can be appropriately grateful. I am grateful. I do appreciate the Lord and that my needs are met. I appreciate His hand in my life. I appreciate the ability to use His earthbound angels and when I have the opportunity to be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment