Monday, January 21, 2013

Signs Everywhere

Blog post #61 of 365

I always wanted to learn sign language. But with all languages if you don't use it you lose it. Who would I use it with? I had to learn some when I worked with a deaf child. His teacher would kick him in my class for discipline but I think he liked it so it kind of backfired for her. Or maybe it didn't and the three of us benefited. He never gave me any trouble. Anyway I did learn some. I've lost more than I have retained but I'd love to really learn sign language. Not interpreter but communication sign.

It has been on my mind a lot lately. I guess I should take a class. But partly it is on my mind because I of a recent conversation in which someone said sign language was a waste of time. Even for a deaf family member. I couldn't disagree more. Who would want to go through life trying to read lips without the benefit to "speak."

The conversation swayed a little and went on to "Common Sign Language" in which people who are not deaf use. Case in point the human hand... Each finger represents something unique that "everyone" understands. The pinky represents a promise. The ring finger represents love. The middle finger shows anger or rather provokes anger. The pointer gives direction. The thumb a sign of good luck. My response is that the hand may be used for that but there is more to be communicated than promises, love, anger, direction and well wishes.

I have decided to pursue my sign language beyond simple signs and learn to communicate. Now if I could just find a class...

No comments:

Post a Comment