Saturday, January 19, 2013

Our Kids Deserve Better

Blog post #58 of 365


We live in a complicated world of conflicts and conflicting ideas.

There was a time when several generations of families lived under one roof. Grandparents living downstairs or just down the hall. Married couples living with their parents and beginning their families while still under the roof of their parents. Homes weren't huge. They were cozy. I live in one such home. For now my son and I live in a tiny home with my mom. It is cozy and sometimes a little too small but in all honesty I don't think I'd like living in a huge house alone. I live in a neighborhood of mini mansions, none of which I'd want to live in. Most of these homes are empty. I mean huge four thousand square foot homes with a couple living in them. Maybe a couple and one child. Who needs that kind of space? We are becoming more and more distant. Maybe if we weren't so distant we could understand each other better.

We live in a world of conveniences. Instant everything. Some I love, like the washing machine and indoor plumbing. Most of these conveniences many people take for granted but I appreciate not having to boil my water for a bath, not going to the outhouse in the middle of the night, and not washing my laundry by the river. However I think we are becoming lazy because of the conveniences we have. I hear people complain about having to hang their laundry because the dryer broke. I often hung my clothes even after I got my dryer. I liked the quick dry of the summer, the sun on my back and the fresh smell of the line dried clothes. Maybe we should move more. Actually get up to turn off the TV might be a great first step.

Today a college degree is more of a necessity than ever before but I think people in general aren't as smart. It is like common sense has lost its importance. To get a minimum wage job requires a degree in most cases. I don't understand why it is important to have college for everything. Why do we need our front desk clerk at the hotel to have a degree is hospitality services? Really hospitality services, I think someone got bored and just started making things up. I want to go back to the days of apprenticeships. When if you wanted to learn a trade you got someone to hire you and train you as you went. I want college to make sense. It should be a series of core classes and maybe a few electives. We should know how to read, write and do basic math before we graduate high school. In fact most states have exit exams to make sure students can read and do math before exiting high school. Stupidly it is math nobody really needs but it is math none the less. Maybe we should lobby for real change in our education system.

We have experts in every field but it seems our problems multiply and compound more often than not. You'd think we'd have less problems as we become more and more educated with information at our fingertips. I think with so many people so focused on one thing we have lost the bigger picture. For the sake of our future shouldn't we focus more on the whole picture.

We have pills for everything but a greater need for pills. Wouldn't it just be easier to eat well and get off the couch more often? We don't move much. We get in a car and go to work then drive home after 8 hours in a chair. Our digestions has slowed but with instant everything making dinner is as easy as popping something in the microwave or driving through. Is it any wonder we are getting fatter with every generation?

We can build space stations but can't fix our streets and bridges. We can circle the globe in twenty four hours by plane but most of us haven't crossed the street to introduce ourselves to our neighbors. Okay maybe some have. I know I have but it was me who crossed the street every time.

We have computers so we can "keep in touch" but do we communicate? I think many of us just don't talk as we should. Really communicate, exchanging information and ideas.

What happened to the days when people had nice clothes and work clothes? What happened to taking care of what we owned instead of chucking things when something better came along. What happened to fix it until it can't be fixed. The day of the handyman is lost on most. Manufacturers perpetuate this toss it in the trash society we have become. There was a time when manufacturers made things to last thirty years but now we are lucky if they make it to last five knowing I'll need a new one. Manufacturers are as guilty as we are. Lets learn to sew and fix the hole instead of buying a new one. Lets reuse what we have until it is worn out. Lets plan for a future with less waste.

There was a time a person's word was as good as a contract. Deals were made on a handshake. Character and integrity meant something. I want those days back. I want to live in a society where trust and honor are the norm not the exception. I want to live in a world where profit isn't the bottom line. That profit does not trump quality, ethics or a job well done.

Our children and grandchildren deserve better than what we have become. I ask myself what can I do to make the world a better place? I think living by example is the best place to start. If you can think of something better feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment