Sunday, January 27, 2013

Nuts and Other Annoyances

Blog post #73 of 365

As a kid I had some allergies. I was never able to roll in the grass without a rash. As a preteen I developed an aversion to homework (probably not a real allergy). Also about preteen I found eating walnuts caused sores in my mouth. In my early teens I discovered seasonal allergies. Then in my mid teens I had an asthma attack brought on by allergies according to the doctors. So as an adult I still have those pesky allergies but nothing I couldn't handle.

Then as an adult I developed lots of new allergies. Oh joy, not!

While in the middle of a staff meeting my eye began to swell. Then I noticed my lips were swollen. After the swelling went down I thought back to what I had been eating (the staff meeting was held during lunch.) Later I tried to eat a peach. My hands instantly itched and my lips swelled again. So I quit eating peaches. Later I discovered I can't eat anything with fuzz, including zucchini.

After suffering with a cold for two months I went to the doctor. Most colds & flu are spent by 21 days. My doctor said my lingering cough was from my body thinking it is being attacked by an unwanted foreign substance. Since that time I cough (not wheeze) from allergy induced asthma. So no perfumes or scented stuff. 

About the same time I discovered  have a nut allergy. With some I get sores, with others I itch and with some I swell. Not all nuts but most of them. Really, nuts? So my favorite candy bars are out. No Snickers, no peanut butter cups, no paydays. It doesn't seem fair.

As a result of these allergies I can't go to church without trouble breathing, I have to just get up and move if someone with offending perfume sits near me. Even several pews away. Picnics at the park are out. I still can't sit in the grass. I can't go in certain parts of grocery stores (soap isles to be specific). I can't go to the mall. There are too many stores with perfume wafting out the entrances. Every time I eat I have to ask about ingredients. Does it have nuts or fuzzy fruits? A potluck or dinner out can be very difficult. The seasons still change and I have added pollens, dust and flowers to the list of likely to cause breathing trouble list. Ugh! It just doesn't seem fair but then again life isn't fair.

But the biggest annoyance to my allergy filled life is I have found a substitute for peanut butter. I can eat nut and seed butters of the nuts and and seeds I am not allergic to and there are several. Some unfortunately are hard to find. But what do you call a nut butter sandwich? Trust me you don't want to say nut butter in front of certain immature people. Seed butter isn't any better and when I say PBJ people want me to stop eating so I "don't die." Allergies are no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment