Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Socks

Blog post # 55 of 365

I love socks. When I was a kid my utilitarian aunt gave me socks for my birthday. Who does that to a kid? I could see socks and a toy or socks and an outfit or socks and a book but just socks, nope not cool! So I said something and she started getting me outrageous socks. Strange colors, toes socks, character socks, holiday socks and this was before they just sold holiday socks. I know she had to put in the effort. They actually started with blue and purple tie-dyed hose. Now I have a bunch of great themed socks! I love them but they wear out so i need more.

When I was a kid growing up in California I usually went barefoot. Now unfortunately I have nerve damage and I have to wear shoes all of the time. I am a pain wuss.Walking without shoes is very painful. In fact finding shoes that work is a difficult task. I also have to regulate the temperature of my feet. Too cold is super bad so I wear socks even when I am sitting with my shoes kicked off.  

Anyway I have learned to appreciate socks. Thin socks in the summer and thick ones in the winter. Yes we get freezing temperatures in California at night so socks are a necessity.

I mentioned I live in California and there is one pet peeve of mine when it comes to socks. There is and is not appropriate shoes for socks. Meaning if you are wearing flip flops or sandals then leave your socks off. More importantly if you are wearing shoes real shoes then it is never okay to go stockingless. Feet sweat and feet in shoes without socks stink, yuck! I don't care how rich or how fashionable you might think you are please get some socks. They make socks so low cut you don't even see them anymore so there is no real excuse. this is the deal after a while the stench from your feet permeates your shoes. It never goes away no matter how hard you try we can smell them. Let me make this perfectly clear people if your feet begin to stink they stink through your shoes and will make your shoes stink even after the foot is removed. Odor inserts will help some but not as much as you believe they are.

Finally it looks unfinished. Like you forgot. Not like you are too cool to put them on but like you are too lazy to be bothered. The thing about those really low cut socks you can see a peek here and there. They are "practically" invisible not completely "invisible". I guess it is up to you but I'm sticking with my opinion here since it is my blog. If you don't wear socks it isn't cool ironically or otherwise. It is however stinky and lazy looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment