Monday, May 6, 2013

Politics Is Like The Bible

Blog post #171 of 365

When I lived in Oklahoma in the middle of the Bible belt I attended a very cool non denominational Bible study group. We were going through the Bible one chapter at a time. When I joined we were on the new testament. It was interesting to me to see how everyone was reading the same text yet have very different interpretations of it and would back up their view using other parts of the Bible. I felt my job was often to stir the pot and get people thinking so we had some lively conversations. I loved every moment. The funny part was we all agreed that we were entitled to our own view or interpretation and yet the arguments continued. Each week these women would come armed with back up scripture to prove they were right.

It is like that with politics. Everyone has their own view. The way they interpret the politician or policy and yet nobody can seem to agree. All through the election process we see the worst in people come right up to the surface. It sickens me. At the end of a political term both sides tear each other down as if there an absolute right and wrong way to do everything. There isn't. The system is broken and could be fixed but to fix it the people running the show would have to give up some power, take a few cuts and I don't see that ever happening. It is a job to the politician with a fairly good retirement if you go far enough in the ladder of power so why would anything change?

For the record I don't claim to be an expert on either politics or the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment