Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Car Trouble

Blog post #185 of 365

Car trouble.

I could just leave it at that but I'm frustrated. Cars have become a money pit.

Back when I first started driving diagnosing a problem was easy. If it won't start it was probably the battery, alternator, or voltage regulator.If it did't go check the carburetor, the fuel line, or maybe the transmission. If it won't stop it needs brakes pads, brake fluid, lines bled, a new rotor or master cylinder.  It was easy to change out a fuel filter, change the radiator, belts and hoses. Well it was pretty easy to change out about anything back then.

We had 'emergency' fix it kits. They held jumper cables, some duct tape, electrical tape, a little starting fluid, oil, brake fluid, washer fluid, pliers, a wrench, WD 40, a box of fuses, and maybe a hose or belt we knew was on the verge. Almost any guy I knew could help with the heavy lifting and I was smart enough to follow the diagram and rebuild any part that needed a little scrub.

Today however my emergency kit is enough cash for a spare tire, a jumper cable and an Auto Club card. Everything is run my a computer, a motor, or a switch that all cost a $100 or more. I mean I can't even change a headlight without looking it up on the internet. Holy cow, I am so tired of expensive car repairs and more importantly my inability to just fix it!

I want a classic car. One built in the days of simplicity. It sounds easy enough but it totally isn't. Finding parts is difficult. I feel doomed to the mass transit system and even that sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment