Saturday, May 25, 2013

Candied Nuts

Blog post #189 of 365

I love nuts. I am allergic to most but I do love them.

I was reading a recipe for a salad with candied nuts in it and thought well too bad I can't eat that particular kind of nut but then it hit me I can eat other kinds of nuts. Then I went on a candied nut quest and found many sometimes complicated recipes for candied nuts.

What I found it most are simple syrup or sugar and water with nuts.

So here is what you'll need for just a few:
(They can be addicting so make a few and then you won't be tempted to eat more.

1/4 cup Nuts (You pick your favorite I made them with almonds and cashews because I can eat both!)
2 tablespoons Water
2 tablespoons Sugar
a cookie sheet covered in waxed paper

Put everything in a small heavy pan and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Immediately turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes. The nuts will be golden brown but if you forget them they will burn easily. If you keep stirring you won't forget or overcook. Besides you want them to be coated evenly.

The syrup tells you when they are done. If the syrup is thick and almost gone they are ready. If the syrup is too runny keep cooking a few more minutes. If you take them off the heat too soon they will be sticky and chewy and still yummy but not good if you want them in a salad or on top of your ice cream.

Spread them out on the covered cookie sheet in a single layer to dry.

TA DA super easy right?

Now for the super inventive types you can use brown sugar and add a little cinnamon for a richer flavor. Or my friend tried a little cayenne pepper to give them a little kick.

(Be honest how many of you read the title and then had to pull your mind out of the gutter?) Totally worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment