Friday, August 2, 2013

Phone Calls

Blog post #259 of 365

I am a talker but I don't talk on the phone all that much. Weird I know but it is true. There are a few instances when that isn't the case. I have a few family and friends who will call to vent or who I will call to vent. Those calls will generally be long but they are few and far between.

My usual phone call is getting information and making or changing or verifying appointments. Those kinds of calls usually happen on my cell phone because the house phone is usually tied up with my mom. I'm good with that it gives her something to do.

I am at an age now when I don't like phones ringing anyway. It usually isn't for me.

The ringing phone is usually a solicitor. I love the ones that say, "I'm not trying to sell you anything. We just want to 'give' you a 'free' estimate." Give as if it is a gift to have to schedule an appointment to have a stranger look at my things and try to push their service or product. And my time is worth something. The time you waste on this phone call and then waiting for this person to show up and try to sell me on the estimate is not free. Far from free...

The rest of the time the ringing phone is for my mom. Now this would be cool but at her age many of her friends and family are becoming more and more infirmed. Wait is that a word? Well they are old and things start to break down or worse they die. It really is rare to get good news from these folks who call her.

Just the other day I heard the caller ID call out the name of an old family friend who has begun the downhill slide and the speed is picking up way too fast. Every time I wonder is this someone calling to let mom have the sad news, that our dear friend has passed. It just makes me hold my breath a little until I can hear the semi cheerful chatter of these old friends.

I do occasionally get the phone call from one of my kids or grand kids. Those are the best. My favorite are the ones from my grandies, "I grandma, I love you." Makes my heart sing just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment