Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Helicopters and Loud Speakers

Blog post #262 of 365

A few days ago I was reminded why I do not enjoy living in a bad neighborhood. Especially in the summer.

Confession. There have been times in my life when I did not live in a good neighborhood. I never left doors unlocked and kept a closer eye on everything. Today I live in a decent neighborhood but near the boarder where it isn't so good.

A few nights ago I was having a hard time with pain ans sleep was taking its time being my friend.

A little after midnight there were a bunch of sirens and  it sounded as if someone were having some trouble. An accident maybe or heart attack. About this time, after midnight, my son headed for bed. I was close but before I was actually making my way to the bed I hear helicopters. Life-flight maybe?

I check the doors to make sure everything is secure for the night and I hear someone on a loud speaker but I can't make it out. I look outside to see if I can figure out where the copters are circling and can't actually see them. It sounds close but not over my head. A few minutes later I hear a kind of horn and more speaking which I still can't make it out. As soon as it stopped they started again in Spanish. No way I could be sure to know what they were saying although I know some Spanish I would never trust it enough to not ask. Seconds after that the horn sounds again and they are warning people in an Asian language. I couldn't make out which one though I suspected Chinese.About fifteen minutes later I hare everything repeating but this time I make out stay inside your homes and secure your doors and windows.

The kid is asleep, Mom is asleep and I am again checking the doors and closing all of the windows that are letting in this amazing cool breeze. All doors are now locked and I feel relatively secure because they aren't overhead but now it is getting warm, my adrenaline is up and I am no closer to sleep than I was at 8 in the morning...

This barrage of announcements and helicopter flight lasted over two hours. I was awake the whole time.

I checked all of the doors and windows three times, double checked to make sure the cars were locked, luckily we have the remote locking system. But could not cool down or relax enough to sleep.

I am grateful for my fairly good neighborhood and I hope nobody was hurt in that nights shenanigans. I am blessed with sound sleepers in this house or we'd have all been up. I am grateful for an amazing group of law enforcement agencies who work together to keep us secure during those trying times.

May they stay away from our neighborhood for a long long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment