Monday, August 26, 2013

Arthritis (My Own Observations Not Self Help)

Blog post #282 of 365

The other day my mom was showing me her fingers. She has lost a little mobility and has a few knobby spots of arthritis. I just looked at them and shook my head. She complains a lot. I am used to it. She didn't seem too happy that I wasn't too concerned. I'm not. Nearly everyone will have a little arthritis by the time they are in their mid to late 70's.

You see I am 24 years younger than she is. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my teens. I have suffered the pains of arthritis most of my life and she started maybe 15 or 20 years ago.

After a few moments she started to get upset about my 'lack of concern' at how she "looks old." I immediately showed her mine. I have more knobby spots that she had not yet noticed. She is not concerned.

Every day I am grateful for the slow progression of the disease. I see someone with truly gnarly looking knobby places and I am even more grateful but I am also compassionate because I know the pain they endure.

I guess my position is to take the best possible care of yourself and pray the Lord will spare you as long as possible and in the meanwhile to be grateful for everything you do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment