Saturday, August 24, 2013

Today I Am Sad

Blog post #280 of 365

My heart broke a little more today. My son passed on the information that a friend had passed away.

A few years ago I was a Sunday school teacher. I taught the youth. I taught the 15/16 year old kids and anyone unwilling to go to their own class. I probably had as many that didn't belong to me as I did my own. I enjoyed teaching them. Letting them know that it is okay to question things and figure them out on your own was the only way to gain your own testimony. I moved and later switched to a different building where I eventually I had the same calling.

The young man that passed away was in my earlier Sunday school class as an add on. I loved him. I appreciated his character. I understood his love of life and confusion the teen years usually bring.

After our move we had few opportunities to talk but when we did there was never any judgement on either side. He told me the first time I saw him after the move that he loved that I listened without judgement and knew he could always rely on me to shoot straight and tell it like it is. I appreciated his faith in me as I had faith in him too.

Sometime later he told me he was joining the service and was going to serve our country. Again I was proud of him.

Through the years I knew he had substance abuse issues. I knew he struggled within the confines of his own family and the world in general. I also knew he had a wonderful heart and a courageous spirit that was often contagious.

His passing brought back the sorrows of the passing of other young people in my life. They were all so young. One in junior high, two just after high school, then the last two not even 30. We are suppose to live a full life but how full is a life cut short. I will ever celebrate and also mourn the short span they all  had. I believe in the hereafter and it is my hope these young spirits can come together in some way and live one. Maybe helping to guide us along the way.

You will be missed my friend. May the Lord hold you in his arms until we meet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment