Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Season of Gratitude Final List

Blog post #401 of 365

Gratitude day 46
I am grateful for reason. The ability to think things through and figure out a solution to almost any situation. Someone recently told me reason is simply common sense but I don't agree. Common sense to me doesn't require much thought if any but reason requires systematic thought.
I am thankful for reason.

I believe people take thought and the thought process for granted until something bad happens. I am very appreciative of a good mind that works relatively well.

Gratitude day 47
I am grateful for music. Today I have songs running through my head. I love that it isn't the same song but even that doesn't bother me if it is a good one. This season we get to listen to songs we either avoid the rest of the year or don't think about. Some are so beautiful and some I know why we avoid but today I have all kinds going both old and new and I appreciate both.
I am thankful for music.

I love music. Including seasonal music and even jingles. Some of those old Barry Manilow jingles "I am stuck on Bandaid cause Bandaid stuck on me!" Or "You deserve a break today so get up and get away to McDonald's." They stick in your head!

Gratitude day 48
I am grateful for stamps. The kind you put on an envelope and send in the mail. I love real cards and letters. I enjoy computer letters, notes, PM's, emails and e-cards but there is something special about holding them while you open and read them. My favorite are the ones for no apparent reason but during the Christmas season and birthdays I see more. You just can't get those without a stamp.
I am thankful for stamps.

I sent my cards out exactly one week before Christmas. Slacker to be sure but the ones I sent out were important. They were for people who should hold a card from me...

Gratitude day 49
I am grateful for text messages. I would much rather hear your voice but those quick little I'm think of you moments or those cool photos meant just for me right this minute texts are so appreciated.
I am thankful for text messages!

No really if you love me you'll call.

Gratitude day 50
I am grateful for family time. Spending the day with family is pretty spectacular. Especially when you don't see them often enough.
I am thankful for family time.

Family Christmas party!!! Can't beat that.

Gratitude day 51
I am grateful for all of the opportunities I've had in my lifetime to date and all of the ones to come. There are many. I am thankful I can recognize them as opportunities. If you aren't paying attention or aren't a good sport you'll miss a lot. I mean boat loads. But they are there for the having. Some you need to plan for, some you need to save for, some you just have to grab hold. All of them totally worth the effort.
I am thankful for all of the opportunities I've had in my lifetime to date and all of the ones to come.

Sometimes opportunities are hard to see but the key is too keep your eyes open. Also understand that sometimes disappointments are also opportunities dressed down to throw you off. pay attention and be grateful.

Gratitude day 52
I am grateful for memories. I have had the opportunity to make many and recently while going through old photos so many came rushing in filling my soul with gratitude for all I have. I look forward to making more memories with family and friends. I appreciate everyone even the not so great ones because they helped mold who I am.
I am thankful for memories.

I've made many and they are all worth it. Even the bads ones taught me a bunch!

Gratitude day 53
I am grateful for puzzles of every kind. I love every kind of puzzle. They are a challenge to figure out. Crosswords and Sudoku books are an easy was to pass the time in a waiting room or while in line and the DMV. Every year my mom and dad got a puzzle for Christmas or their anniversary (at Christmas time) and would put it together on New Year's eve. It is a really good memory. Some of those puzzles were beautiful and some were intentionally difficult but always fun for them. I have always loved putting puzzles together. This year at the family Christmas party Cody, Heather, and Ronin gave me a puzzle of the three of them. It sits under the tree waiting for my Christmas paintings to be finished but soon I'll be putting together my favorite puzzle yet!
I am thankful for puzzles of every kind.

The puzzle from the kids really is fun. But I like to figure things out and put things together so it stands to reason I'd enjoy puzzles.

Gratitude day 54
I am grateful for the spirit of Christmas. Christmas is a time of remembering the birth and life of Christ but it goes beyond that. Your religion or lack of religion is not as important as the spirit of Christmas. Christmas is a time of sharing, giving, and gratitude. It is a time of family and friends. Enjoy your celebrations and love each other as Christmas approaches because that it what the spirit of Christmas is all about.
I am thankful for the spirit of Christmas.

People forget it isn't about them.

Gratitude day 55
I am grateful for presents. It is Christmas and I admit it, I like gifts. Anyone who says otherwise is not grateful. I love to give gifts too. I like opening presents and yes sometimes I will take my time because I want to savor the moment. I especially love well thought out gifts and gifts made with love. Those are my very favorite. I hope you all were very good this year and got really great presents.
I am thankful for presents.

I got some really good ones this year.

Gratitude day 56
I am grateful for bittersweet moments. You know the kind of moments that pull on all of the emotions. Like talking to my daughter in OK. Great to hear her voice but brings tears because she is so far away. Or when I watched the Jib Jab video of my friend's children. Seeing her son stand and dance for the first time. Okay yes, I know our Jonny wasn't actually standing and dancing but it moved me. Smiling at the sweet dancers and tears falling as I know I will not likely see him dance or stand in this lifetime. He has Angelman's Syndrome, you can look it up.
I am thankful for bittersweet moments.

Jonny's mom is an Angel advocate and supports so many Angel parents. She astounds me with her ability to see beyond the disability and to show others the teacher Jonny and his angel friends really are.

Gratitude day 57
I am grateful  for sleep. I know it sounds ordinary but it is necessary.
I am thankful for sleep.

Insomnia and pain make sleep difficult for me.

Gratitude day 58
I am grateful for water. I love water. The ocean, lakes, streams, rivers, canals, aqueducts, rain and snow are all beautiful and powerful. When you think about it water is in every part of life, unavoidable if you will. Why would you want to? Okay maybe a tsunami or flood maybe but even a flood can be fun if you live on high ground. Water, I love to look at it, swim in it, drink it, wash with it, and bathe in it.
I am thankful for water.

Really I love it.

Gratitude day 59
I am grateful for kept promises. I try not to make them unless I can follow through and appreciate those who do the same. There was a time when your 'word' was enough. Not so much anymore but it is a wonderful thing when trust is enough.
I am thankful for kept promises.

May your word always be enough and my you follow through.

Gratitude day 60
I am grateful for sunshine. I can't paint without it. (Important this time of year.) It lifts the mood in winter. Sunshine is a good thing but like all good things too much can burn everything. Especially us very light skinned folk and delicate plants. But just enough keeps us warm and makes everything grow.
I am thankful for sunshine.

It is cool outside but sunny and warm when it shines on you. Beautiful California end of December day.

Gratitude day 61
I am grateful for courage. All courage both mine and the courage I see in others. The kind of courage that requires one to go to great lengths or the kind that requires one great effort to get through the day of 'small' hurdles and every kind in between. I mean really folks, there are people who choose to face death in their professions to protect others and there are those who face pain or worse every single day. In addition there are those with the courage to face the unknown. Who stand beside the ones who struggle most, perhaps may struggle far beyond what what we ever see. Whether it be mental, emotional, or physical supporting them in any way they can even if only in prayer. Your courage makes a difference. To everyone who face and persevere through these kinds of challenges with such courage I applaud you. You inspire me and for that you have my gratitude and respect.
I am thankful for courage.

I wrote that last one through tears. Too many people I know are so courageous and strong. Wow.

As I close out this last quarter of gratitude I look forward to the next set. I have heard it said thinking of something to be grateful for is difficult but I can tell you that even at my lowest points and on my worst days I can always find something to be grateful for. In the times of my highest highs and greatest accomplishments I am also so grateful for the opportunity to express my gratitude and to anyone who happens upon this blog either by chance or with vigor, thank you too. Happy new year.







No comments:

Post a Comment