Thursday, December 5, 2013

Making My Mark

Blog post #382 of 365

This morning I was walking through the grass to pick up a mushroom from my neighbor's lawn when I noticed my footprints in the morning dew. It made me think about walking in general. When walking on anything we make a mark. Life is like that. It is near impossible to go through your life without leaking a mark. Even walking on concrete you wear the path a little with each passing.

When I am long gone what will people remember of the marks I left behind? So how will I make my mark mean something?

I have already made marks. I have family and friends who I hope are influenced by me in a meaningful way. At least I hope it is meaningful. I have children and now grandchildren I hope are influenced by me. I make art I hope influences people. I write and I hope in some positive way this influences people.

Several years ago a friend told me my greatest gift is the support I give others. That he was most grateful for that. Since then I have tried in any way I can to be a support to others. To try and understand them and lift them up if I could. Sometimes I can't and I accept that but it won't stop me from trying.

I am reminded of a sign I once saw. It read, Footprints in history aren't made sitting down. So get up and do something. Leave a good footprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment