Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Memories

Blog post #396 of 365

Every Christmas from my birth until my 8th were spent spoiled by an organized yer crazy grandmother who planned and purchased for Christmas all year long. Once I became a parent I tried to do the same thing and plan all year so my kids would never have to feel that void. I did well for the most part.

Christmas eve 26 years ago my baby boy had life saving surgery. Christmas day 26 years ago he met Santa in his hospital room. I am ever grateful for the nurses, staff and that special Mr.Claus. I came so close to losing him. I am grateful every day that I did not.

Christmas eve 27 years ago my first daughter came home from the hospital. She was there for two weeks in the neonatal intensive care unit. She is such a blessing and worth the delay.

Five days before Christmas 19 years ago my husband decided he needed to leave to be happy. My kids and I were penniless and alone. It was a rough Christmas for the six of us. I don't think he ever looked back.

Fifteen days before Christmas 16 years ago I was electrocuted. Totally put a damper on things.

Two weeks before Christmas 3 years ago my baby girl flew off without telling anyone to live with a boy she hadn't seen since she was 5. I haven't seen her since except in photos. She has since split up with the abusive controlling boy and for that I am grateful but she live more than 24 hours drive from me...

Every Christmas since I have struggled this time of year to stay positive. There have been two huge blessings but so much sadness as well. It is such an emotional time of the year for most folks maybe I'm just normal. What keeps me going steady is knowing the season isn't about me.  It is about giving. It is about gratitude. It is about making a difference in the lives of others. It is about love. So I don't dwell. I buck up. You should too!

No comments:

Post a Comment