Thursday, June 27, 2013

Questions... #1

Blog post #223 of 365

For my birthday this year I got a gift that my daughter in law called 'homework.' My son and his wife want a history in my words. They gave me a book of questions to help guide me. From time to time I am going to answer some of those questions here.

What was my first car?

My sister and I shared our first car. It was a hand me down from my mom who got it used. Sharing wasn't too big a deal. I usually earned it and she usually went out on dates with guys who drove their cars.

A 1959 Chevrolet Impala with a light yellow exterior and a medium green interior. No air bags and a full on metal dashboard. No power anything. We called him Sherman, after the tank, because it drove like one. My arms were buff from trying to steer the massive hunk of metal. Those wings on the back were deceptive. Nothing really aerodynamic about it.

It was old but it was huge. About nine people could easily squeeze in it at any given time. The matching huge trunk meant all nine people could have a suitcase and a sleeping bag too. Seriously had some fun adventures in that beast.

The thing was tough too. My sister hit a big rig and although it tore a gouge down the side you really couldn't tell it had been in an accident.

To be honest back then it wasn't a car you'd have wanted to be seen in it sure beat walking. Today I'm still not sure I'd want it unless I could find a way to lighten it up a lot because it didn't have good gas mileage.

No comments:

Post a Comment