Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Food Allergies Bite!

Blog Post #290 of 365

About thirteen years ago I began to develop some food allergies. I believe I had a few before that but didn't realize they were allergies. I mean for as long as I can remember walnuts left sores in my mouth. I never ate them because I didn't like the sores and I never really thought a mouth sore was an allergy. Well let me tell you every allergy is different.

I have an allergy to fuzzy fruit. Peaches, kiwi, apricots and even zucchini make me get an itchy rash at the touch. If I touch my eyes or nose after touching one they will swell up big. I have other nut allergies as well. Not just walnuts but almost every nut. I can eat almonds, pistachios and cashews but every other nut can do any number of things to me. Like making my mouth, tongue and lips swell, a rash, mouth sores, difficulty breathing and more. People don't think about the oils they use.Walnut or peanut oil can be deadly for me.

It bothers me that people can be so inconsiderate. I won't change my recipe, you can eat around it. Really. Or testing me to see if I really am allergic. Really? You don't play like that. Allergies are serious business. Life or death! Luckily I can usually pop a couple of Benadryl or use my inhalers to survive but please don't make me have to. Cooperate. Label your stuff or just don't put it in there in the first place. I should't have to ask family or friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment