Thursday, February 21, 2013

Love and Valentine's Day

Blog post # 98 of 365

The word love is deceptive. I mean in the English language love covers way too much. I love the sunrise. I love avocado trees. I love my grandparents. I love my children. I love my grandchildren. I love my car. I love that my car works. I love the Lord. I love to read. I love Disneyland and the Zoo. All of those loves are different kinds of love. Love of things is different than love of people. Love of certain people like a spouse is different than the love of a friend or neighbor. It just is! How do you explain that one word can cover so very many kinds of love?

I know I am loved. I have no doubts about it.

Valentine's day has little if anything to do with love. For some it brings out the worst. Sometimes it could be jealousy or sadness even anger for some. I have seen this quote over and over. "If you're sad about being alone on Valentine's day, just remember nobody loves you any other day of the year either." Did anybody bother to read it and seen the meanness behind this quote before posting? Being single doesn't mean someone doesn't love you. Being married doesn't always mean someone loves you either. The fact is everyone is loved by somebody even if they are never aware of it.

For others Valentine's day brings out the best. Giving, volunteering, going the extra mile, being kind, being thoughtful.

My daughter in law gave me the best Valentine today. She texted me a photo of my grandson. What a thoughtful thing to do.

I believe Valentine's day should be about about showing love. Love is about giving. Giving of or from your heart. Giving yourself to someone rather than yourself. To me that is love. Not a box of chocolate, flowers that will die in a week and dinner at a crowded restaurant. Nope if you want to show me you love me do something, make something or clean something. It is as simple as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment