Monday, February 4, 2013

Humbled By a Seven Year Old

Blog post # 81 of 365

I've been helping my niece with her kids. There is much more to the story but I'm noting going into it today. Every weekend for four weekends I've had four kids ages seven, six, five and three. I've learned much from them and they have learned much from me. Mostly they have learned to trust, how to follow basic rules and that when rules aren't followed there are consequences. No matter how much you don't want the consequences they will remain.

There has been a running theme and an under current of "I don't want you to forget me" going on. I never have them out of my mind and I never will. For seven years I have prayed for their safety and well being.

We all went to church together on Sunday and we all enjoyed services. By the end of the meetings the kids were getting sad about leaving. My niece thought she was having surgery today. She was mistaken but still scared. Nothing I said calmed her.

Let me back track a little here. My niece has 5 kids. One of her kids, the seven year old, was bitten by a dog (when she was five) and had to undergo emergency surgery to rebuild her face. About six months later they did another surgery to correct the hurried emergency surgery but alas it wasn't a successful as we had hoped so now about a year later she is having a third corrective surgery.

For a long while the kids have been in a state of constant movement and a little out of control. Through it all I have tired to remain their constant. Tried to make sure they knew I always have their back. Due to circumstances beyond my control or theirs there has been chunks of time when I could not be there for them. I have gone to great lengths to make sure the kids have been cared for. That the focus is on them. I have tried to let them know they will always have family who cares about them.

Nearing the end of the meeting my seven year old niece crawls up in my lap with tears in her eyes and begged me not to make her go home Sunday night. I knew she had the surgery consultation in the morning and I told her I would be there this morning. She told me she was scared and I told her I would do my best to keep them one more night. I did.

The kids mom tells me mornings are difficult. I told the kids we had to go to bed early because we had to get up earlier than normal. I had bags packed, clothes laid out and everything organized for today. Everyone went to bed on time and fell asleep without trouble. This morning was smooth as silk. As we made out way to pick up mommy, to take the 6 year old to school and go to the consult my little niece who had been scared to death just the day before sang, and she sang, and she sang. She told jokes and laughed and was all in all this wonderful kid. On the way I discussed having her recover at my house with her mom. She was thrilled. Her mommy was amenable and I was happy to be there for her.

As she sat in the waiting area and later in the room for her surgeon to arrive she remained this amazingly brave little girl. She joked with the nurses and played with her little brother and sister. The surgeon arrived and began talking about the cuts he would make and how the repairs would go and why some expectations would not be doable at this stage. And all the while this seven year old listened and cooperated and looked calm and collected while all of these grown people talked and discussed and made decisions for her future.

As we walked out she smiled and thanked the surgeon. As we booked an appointment for pre-op testing she smiled and stood there quietly and as she piled into the other car to leave I saw this brave little girl with a tear in her eye tell me how much she loved me.

On the ride home I cried. I thought about how scared I know she is and about the long weeks of healing she will encounter and then how incredibly brave and strong and grown up she remained. I am humbled by her strength. I am humbled by her courage and I am humbled at how much she loves and trusts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment