Saturday, February 2, 2013

Boundaries, Borders and Barriers

Blog post #80 of 365

I went to the store the other day and noticed the barrier outside store. Every store seems to have them. Either a planter or posts or like Sam's Club chained off. Sam's Club says it is chained off so pedestrians have a "safe" way to cross into the parking lot. Like all of a sudden people don't know how to cross a parking lot? I have heard they are there to prevent angry shoppers from driving into the store. The store I was visiting had huge red cement balls across the front. However most cars and trucks would easily be able to fit between them. It made me wonder why the big balls are there? What would they stop? They sure aren't decorative or anything.

Those balls got me thinking about other barriers, boundaries and borders. Why they are there and what they are for?

Countries and states are often oddly or interestingly shaped for the most part. Their borders usually have more to do with natural geographical divides like rivers, oceans, hills, or mountains. Those boundaries I understand. They make complete sense to me.

The natural borders got me thinking about border crossings from country to country. They have become a hotbed of controversy. Barriers, walls, armed guards, and more keep people in our out of other countries. Debates about how to protect boarders while respecting each other seems like it should be so much easier but I don't know how it would be easier or better. I have no answers.

I admit I don't understand immigration. I never really had to understand it. The only thing I know is if you're born in the United States you are a citizen and if you are born to an American parent even in another country you are an American. Beyond that it is all unknown. I wonder sometimes if I should know more. Especially with all of the debates on the subject. Are we setting up barriers more to keep people out or to keep people in?

I understand boundaries. Keeping things and people within the lines. I understand order. I understand keeping score. I understand rules. I don't understand not setting boundaries. I don't understand parents who thing kids can parent themselves. It isn't cool not to set boundaries with children.

My mind has been all over the place with this title. Yup sometimes these things take on a life of their own. As I close I'm leaving a few questions about personal boundaries. What do you allow? What do you let others get away with? What do you stop? If someone goes to far or is right on the edge do you step in and help out? Do you stop them from getting hurt or do you let them fall and help them back up? What do you reinforce? Are you rewarding bad behavior? Are you allowing others to trod on you? Just questions running through my head.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment