Monday, February 25, 2013

A Journey

Blog post #102 of 365

"Life is a journey not a destination." Is your life a journey? Or do you treat it like a destination?

When I grow up  ______? When I graduate______? When I finish school  ______? When my hair grows out ______? When summer hits ________? When it cools down _______? When I get the job ______? When I get the promotion______? When I get married _________? When I have kids _________? When my kids grow up _________? When I have grandkids ______? When I retire_____? When, when when...

I remember thinking a few of those very same whens through the years. Especially that first one. Then again do we ever really fully grow up?

These moments of time when we find ourselves rushing through the things happen in our lives can become a habit. We are humans and humans are creatures of habit. Sometimes we disguise the rushing and wishing as goals. There is nothing wrong with making goals. I make goals all of the time. Both short term and long term goals. Goals help us keep focus. The best part of any goal is achieving the goal. It can be very rewarding but not at the expense of forgetting to enjoying your life and the people in it.

Goals can sometimes be called a destination. I believe there are many destinations throughout the journey of life. Sometimes we label the destinations. Like graduate, wife/husband, mother/father etc and there is nothing wrong with labels. Labels help keep us organized. The idea is to not let the label define you. To be the best at whatever we are doing when we are doing it. Avoid going through the motions,without putting in any real effort.

Sometimes it is good to take a side trip, pause a little, go the long way, or take the scenic route. As long as you remember to breathe and take in the atmosphere. Rushing has its place but meandering does too. When was the last time you Googled your city to find an adventure in your own back yard? Or have you ever taken in the local tourist sites. Come on and give it a try. How about the library? A museum? The parks? Historical sites? Where is your town hall? How about a zoo? You are never too old or too young for a little adventure.

When I pass from this life to the next I don't want to be remembered so much as loved and cared for. I figure if I am loved and cared for I will have arrived and I will be remembered.

Okay in a nutshell it won't matter how many years you lived but it will matter how much life was in those years.


No comments:

Post a Comment