Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Simple Things

Blog post #354 of 365

For me simple is better. For example in the 70's my grandfather made sure I knew how to check the fluids in my car. He also taught me how to change them along with my tires and how to push start and jump start an engine. I remember him pointing out all the of parts and the basics of how they work. I look into an engine compartment now and I wonder what everything is. Many mechanical parts have been replaced with computer parts. Very expensive and not easily fixed parts. Everything seems all squished together. Now I doubt I could fix anything where before I could change a hose, replace a radiator, rebuild a carburetor and a few other things.

When I was a kid we had a piano. I loved it. I still do. (My brother has it now.) It is very ornate and very old even back then. Our job (my sister and I) was to dust all those intricate curves and swirls. Then I grew up. If I were to own a piano now it wouldn't be intricate and swirly it would be plain and simple. Nothing fancy to spend hours dusting.

We grew up eating pasta, meat & potatoes and casseroles. I still cook simply. Oh I can make fancy sauces and what not but due to my mom's diet I have become limited on what I should make and frankly I like it better. A meal I can prep and bake or let simmer all day or one I can cook in less than 30 minutes makes me very happy. I like eating a fancy meal now and again but I prefer making the simple easy ones.

When I grew up we had fairly large houses. Four bedroom with 2 or 3 bathrooms. Today in my area they are knocking down perfectly good 4 bedroom 2 or 3 bathroom houses and replacing them with mini-mansions. Who needs a 20 foot ceiling? To me it is a firm waste of space that will require heating since hot air rises. Who will clean that huge home? Maybe it is good for the economy. Hiring a workforce of maids to care for the things. But then they have no yard so there isn't as much for a gardener to do. I still prefer just what I need and nothing more.

I remember my grandma and great grandma ironing. Big heavy irons. but those were the days before dryers that pulled out most wrinkles. I see people wearing clothes I know must be dry cleaned. Why? Give me something I can throw on and then wash and dry ready to go for the next wearing any day. Yes simple easy clothing care is what I crave.

In school kids are beginning algebra at younger and younger ages. I don't get why. They can't spell, write or read which is essential for survival but they can solve for X or Y and they will probably never use that skill in their lifetimes outside of school. I love to make things simple. Learn the basics and then go on to learn a specific skill. That is how it was done when my parents were in school and when their parents were in school.

We are a complicated society and we don't need to be. Treat others well and they will treat you well in return. Somehow we have lost that. Everyone seems to what more and better. All I want is the simple basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment