Thursday, November 14, 2013

If I Were a Rich Man I Mean Woman.

Blog post # 361 of 365

When I was young I learned the song If I Were A Rich Man, from the play Fiddler On The Roof in choir. I think it was 7th or 8th grade. I thought Tevye was a little strange in his rich man's wish list. I mean really? "One long staircase just going up and one even longer going down and one more leading nowhere just for show." But I figured the setting was way before my time. The other day I was listening to the radio when the Bruno Mars song Billionaire came on. There was traffic so I really listened to the song. Then It hit me I live today and this song is just silly for today. Wanting his name in lights, Mr. Mars aren't they already? Oh it has nice ideas like doing more than FEMA and all but really most of it is superficial nonsense.

So I thought about it what would I do if I were rich? I mean the really never have to think about money kind of rich.

I know this might sound a little elitist but first I'd make sure my kids were set up. Trust fund style. The grandkids too. I'd expect them to work still even if it was just helping to make the lives of others better, volunteer work or whatever they can do to make the world a better place. We always did volunteer work when they were little. I know they have it in them to continue that kind of work.

Then or maybe during that process I would purchase a camera. Don't laugh, I am the photographer of our family. I take pictures at every family gathering, share the photos online and usually actual prints with them as well. This camera however would be more than the point and shoot I use now. Nothing super fancy but something with a faster shutter speed. One that would allow me to can take great pictures at night and would have different lenses I can change to use for across the room or across the football field, at events like graduations. I want to take pictures where I can actually see the face of the person getting the diploma. I love my point and shoot for every day stuff. Maybe I could pass that on at family events to a kid or two to get their perspective. I like to think I am pretty good at taking photos. No I'd never try making a living at it but I would have so much fun taking photos. I love to showing people how I see the world. For me a camera is a necessary purchase to document my new journey.

The journey would begin with designing and building a home I love.  Actually sitting with an architect to work out a plan to make my dream home. Nearly every night I dream about building homes. No weird staircases like Tevye though. I'm practical and so everything would be energy efficient and comfortable. No, I wouldn't have a mansion or even anything one might expect with a person of wealth. Think basic and simple. My home would need to act as a gathering place for family and a haven for me. Lots of usable space inside and out. A large common area with open access to a kitchen big enough for several people to work in yet cozy enough for one as well. I'd need a decent sized room to make messes and create art. Outside think fruit trees, raised gardens, walkways the grandkids could race down on foot or on bikes, skateboards or skates, a place for everyone to play catch or volleyball, a place for kids to climb and slide and a nice patio to enjoy the outside even in the rain.

While my home was being built I would take my mom to Australia to see where my sister lives. Really see why she loves it there. We'd visit my nieces while we were there but we'd also be a tourist the whole way. Imagine the camera hanging from my neck and over the In-N-Out tee shirt. Then on the way home we'd head to England to see where most of Mom's ancestors came from. We'd wander the countryside and see the big cities. After a month or so of travel we'd both be ready to go home.

I would find and rebuild (more like have someone else rebuild) some of my favorite old cars. I'm not too fond of newer vehicles, think 1960's back. After they were restored but also upgrade with more comfortable seats, seat belts, suspension, better braking systems, camouflaged stereo system, air conditioning, heat, defroster and any other tweaks they might need I'd give one to each one of my kids. Most of them would appreciate it. Maybe I could get my brother to do that for me. It is his hobby now. I love his coupe.

All of those things in motion I would start a foundation for philanthropic use. Become an advocate for children, homeless families and aged out foster kids. (Did you know foster kids are dumped out of the system at 18 or 21 if they are in school.) I have ideas that could work like an entrepreneurial program for young people. (I'd lay it all out here but I'll save that for another blog entry.)  I don't really believe in handouts so much as a lift up or a way to work yourself to a better place.

There is one other thing I am passionate about that I would absolutely do. I would spend a great deal of time and energy getting our education system reformed. Right now it is broken and I have grandkids to think about. Everyone deserves a chance at a better future.

In between my work in education reform I would travel the United States. Actually as a part of it. You see I'd need to gain support from every state of the union but all parents want better for their kids. In my travels I would stop to see all of the sites I have read about, seen photos of and heard about. I'd take my own photos and enjoy every minute of it. I'd probably drag along a family member or friend on these adventures too. I don't really want to travel the world until I've seen what my own country has to offer.

Yup that is what I would do. A good start anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment