Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Kids are Struggling Not Lazy

Blog post #366 of  365

I have one married son living with his father in law. They pay a fair rent so don't judge, at least their roommates are caring loving people. That son works three part time jobs to support his wife and son. He is college educated and has student loans.

I have a second married son. He lives in a family home of his in laws and is going to school again full time to try to make enough money to support his little family.

I have one son who lives at home with me, goes to college and works part time.

I have one daughter working two part time jobs to support herself. She lives with her boyfriend's grandma.

I have one daughter working hard at one part time job, trying to go to school but finding it hard to attend without sufficient funds to support herself while she goes.

Recently I read that 90% of the jobs created after 2009 are part time. Most manufacturing jobs were outsourced in the 90's so it isn't like kids can just go get a job like they did in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Most jobs now require a college degree. And we wonder how is it that our kids are college educated, living in our basements (or guest rooms) with an average of $30,000 in student loans?

My kids are smart, hard working men and women who deserve better than they are getting. Not because they are lazy and want it handed to them but because they have worked hard for it. I will never blame them for the situation they are in. I will however blame many generations before them. It didn't just happen overnight. I am only one vote. But I am sure I am not the only frustrated parent watching their kids struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment