Monday, January 20, 2014

People & Restrooms

Blog post #419 of 365

Commode, outhouse, porta-potty, Andy Gump, restroom, bathroom, loo, latrine, bush, rest stop, or toilet. Any shared place one can relieve themselves is shared but sometimes people forget that part. Even at home people sometimes leave the seat up. It happens I get that but in public you would think people would take extra care. You'd think, well I think they should.

I had a different blog started this morning then I went out. In an odd twist of fate I used three different public facilities. No I'm not sick and there is nothing wrong it was the situation. Really it was, because under ordinary circumstances I would simply wait until I got home. I always use the restroom before watching a movie because I don't want to have to leave during the movie. It distracts others and you never know what you might miss. (Jack Ryan exactly what I expected.) Then I had water while watching and so needed to go knowing I was making a few stops on the way home. It took longer than expected and well I couldn't wait to get home. Which as it turns out was a big bummer.

Okay so the first restroom was clean for the most part and there was an attendant making sure it was properly stocked and I believe ready to clean up. It was a quick stop and yet the first stall I tried using (many to choose from) had no latch and no out of order sign. I mentioned it needed a sign to the attendant and had to warn the person who followed me that it had no latch. Really the attendant should have said something, sigh. I had to try three stalls before I found one with toilet paper and seat covers in stock and no remaining urine or paper from the previous visitor. The second restroom visit was to a 'family' restroom. I hate using those because they tend to be frequented by groups of people but it was open and the regular ladies room was packed. It was clean-ish and stocked so that was good. The final restroom was gross. Every stall had remnants from the previous user, the paper towel dispenser and hand driers were not working. Lets just say it was unpleasant. All of these restrooms had automatic flushing systems so I don't really understand the remnants...

In all of the visits I was reminded of the post I wrote some time ago about self flushing toilets and I remembered  conversations with my brother in law from Australia who explained that restrooms in Australia always have a brush sitting next to the toilets which patrons are expected to use should they leaves some sort of skid mark in the bowel. He said nobody with any manners ever leaves the toilet seats wet or unflushed. As I used these restrooms I wondered at how people there had been really dirty and wondered how they treated their own restrooms, sigh. I'll go work on the blog I started earlier. I may not post it until tomorrow because I am making dinner and as soon as it is finished I am headed to the store... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment