Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Other Emails

We have established that I am not fond of serial emails. If you send me one please cut and paste and pull off the "please send this on" crap.

I hate spam too. I have a email address for junk mail. All the places and sites that ask for my email address get that one and once a month I unsubscribe as many as I can and delete the rest.

The emails that kill me are the ones begging for a prayer for a missing child. Although I don't consider them serial I have a hard time forwarding them when we have no way of knowing if the child was found or when the email started or even when it originated. I put them in a file so I can look at them when I know I will be going further away than the store or church. I got one about three years ago and got the exact same one again about 5 months ago. I know it is the same one because the photo is in the file. My heart goes out to the parents who have the missing child and I always pray for their safe return but unless there are dates and a website link for follow up I never send them on either. I take a long look at the child and try to remember their face as I go out over the next few days. It may sound cold but at least the mini posters on the wall at WalMart post found on them when the child is located.

My favorite emails are the personal notes. The ones that keep us in touch. I love when they hold a photo and I don't even mind if they are sent to multiple people because I know they are other people my friends or family love.

I also love the yearly getting to know you quizzes. The ones with several random questions that are answered by the sender then ask you to answer and send them back. I usually get one or two a year and they give me a glimpse of what my friends were doing when they filled it out. How else do I stay in touch with people who are as busy as I am and far away. I have friends all over the country and and even a few out of the country too. If you get those from me take a moment to write back. Even if you don't want to fill it out. But remember to cut and paste and not to forward them.

Emails are a wonderful way to let people know you love them, are thinking of them and care about them. They are cheaper than US mail and don't require the sender to know where they put the envelopes. I love getting cards and letters in the mail but I get how much faster, easier and cheaper it is to jot down an email and send it.

For some keeping in touch is more along the lines of blogging or social networking. Some of my friends just found out I have a social networking page. I have had it for nearly three years but have only used it to view some photos. Most of my friends have no idea I have a blog. Make that three blogs. (Updated 7/8/11 I am a social network addict. I love staying in touch in a way that does not require I check my email every day. I love that my friends can just randomly post a thought or send a direct message just because they feel like it and I love that I can see their photos without having to upload them! Life with social networking rocks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment