Monday, June 8, 2009

The home front

I have become the primary caregiver for Mom. She is not an invalid but she has enough health problems that she requires help and lots of it. Getting older is hard. Things begin to sag and wrinkle, the memory fades, tasks that were once easy suddenly and inexplicably become difficult or in some cases impossible. When my dad got older and needed help he would get so frustrated and now mom is in the same boat. She hates to even admit she needs help of any kind but usually accepts the help and eventually shows her gratitude.

The house I live in is very small and filled with five people. We all pitch in taking care of Mom/Gramie since we all work different shifts. It is crowded yes but in my case not a bad thing because I love these people. The noise level can be pretty high here. Until recently the ability to be alone for any length of time was near impossible.

Soon after moving here we got a puppy. Well kind of two puppies. One for me and one for Mom. She has a hard enough time taking care of herself so most of the puppy care landed on me and the kids. Six weeks later we fell in love with a puppy from the second litter that just happened to be homeless. They were confined to the house until they got their shots and the yard was dog ready.

These days it seems I am always cooking and cleaning when I am not at work outside the house. Everyone pitches in some and we manage pretty well. My daughter can cook and she shares the cooking, everyone does laundry and helps out where they can. We are getting good at it.

The yards have been neglected. Mom had this gardener who did not speak English and barely did a thing. He was rarely given access to the back yard because he came when Mom had doctor appointments and she would forget to leave the gate unlocked. We had a lot of rain this year and the backyard turned into a jungle. I have trimmed more trees and bushes in the last two months than I have in the last ten years. I am beginning to see why my brother is known by some as a tree hater. The tree hater came by and with his son and with the assistance of me and my son we got the yard dog ready. Yeah!

With the front and back yards in order our living area has increased by three. The front porch is a relaxing place to spend the cool morning or evening hours. The porch is too small for more than one or two but we have fit four before. I find the solitude on the front porch in the morning nice. The backyard is less relaxing but more enjoyable with the puppies, the turtle and the million bugs and birds that keep us company. There are little shady spots nearly all day that act as an extension of living space as well when it isn't raining that is.

The home front is still home. The space and duties may have changed but home is still home.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! The dogs are out! /now I can come over without fear of being attacked!

    Just kidding!!!!

    We do need to come out soon though...we have gifts for y'all from Hawaii!!!!

    ReplyDelete