Saturday, June 27, 2009

Favorite love stories

Strangely enough one of my favorite love stories is my grandfather (on my fathers side.) As a youth man he fell in love with a local girl. He lived in a very small town with few opportunities. At that time the oldest son was afforded whatever the family had. They inherited and were often the only ones educated. This was the case for my grandfather's family and as the second son there was no money left to get an education after his brother went to school to become a teacher. Nor was their land to tend when the oldest son decided teaching was not for him and returned home to tend the family's land.

My grandfather couldn't make a living in his little hometown. He had no choice but to move away. The girl he loved however would not leave her mother. My grandfather made his way south and eventually landed in California where he was urged to marry an eligible woman of his faith by his clergyman. She also eventually they married another. They both had children of their own and raised their families.

After my grandmother died my grandfather decided he was going to live with us. Our family found a tri-level home with a kitchenette, bathroom, bedroom and living area of the bottom floor. Before the big move my grandfather decided to go on a fishing trip where he could visit with his remaining siblings and friends he grew up with. While gone he ran into his childhood flame.
She had divorced. They soon discovered their love had never dimmed. They married and lived happily ever after. (Note: I was young and didn't hear the truth of the story until years later. So when they married and even after she died I didn't like her much.)

My brother and his wife are also a favorite love story of mine. When my mom remarried, she and her new husband went with his best friends on weekend trips and vacations together. They always had a good time and they always invited my brother and while their friends invited their daughter. When my brother went with them their daughter didn't and their daughter went when he didn't. After about 6 years they finally really met and that was all it took. They both say if they had met earlier they would probably not have even looked at each other that way. The time it took for them to meet was just enough time for them both to mature and be ready for the kind of commitment needed in a relationship. Funny how things turn out.

I love a good love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment