Saturday, May 2, 2009

Me today...

Recently one of my children was facing a job interview. It was not the first job therefore not the first interview. Still there was a case of nerves as we discussed the possibility of tough questions like describing oneself or strengths and weaknesses. It got me to thinking about how I would describe myself. The more I thought the more challenging the task became. Here is what I came up with.

In my quest I decided to free write and discovered that my descriptions have changed through the years. Every year, monthly, week, day, hour, minute and even every second there is a new opportunity to grow and change. There are challenges to face or decline, loves to find strengthen, lose, remember and embrace and skills to acquire and with luck master. Who I am today is a culmination of all of my life experiences. As I started to free write and hit page seven of my self discovery I decided I am a complex person and needed a condensed version. Finally I decided a summary would be best.

Today I am a mom, grandma, daughter, sister, niece, aunt and friend. These descriptions fit many of the women I have known and I honor them. These words describe my attachments to people I love. I have for much of my life been physically challenged (sometimes short termed and now forever challenged.) For a while I struggled, wallowed if you will, in self pity but now I mentally and physically challenge myself to be the best I can. The challenges are still there but I am becoming more adaptable. As times goes on I am less and less focused on what I can't do and always look for ways I can do things I thought impossible.

Living in pain changes a person but I work every day to find the best in myself and in others. I try to show those I come in contact with the loving and kind person I know I am and to hide the pain so others don't feel the need to try to help carry my burdens. (I have the Lord for that.)

I am a very passionate person with many passions in my life. I am passionate about education. I am an educator. (I have the degree to prove it.) As a mom and friend I have many opportunities to teach and learn as well. Today I continue to learn taking every chance afforded me to broaden my horizons.

I am a passionate movie goer, reader and lover of music. These passions allow so many valuable resources I enjoy including entertainment, escape from the day to day, information and creativity as well. I love the discovery of a new favorite musical artist, actor, director or author. (My kids are often the catalyst for finding both authors and music.)

I am an artist. I love to create as well as enjoy the art of others. Mostly I paint but I enjoy other mediums as well including but mot limited to photography and writing. I love to express myself.

I love going to church and learning about the true love of Christ. Knowing I am a child of God and that I am never alone is a great comfort to me.

I am compassionate as well. I have been accused of being too compassionate. I have taken in strays (homeless people at times entire families and even an occasional animal), feed the hungry and even given gas or at times change to beggars. (I try to avoid giving money since some beggars are professionals.)

So to recap I am a passionate artist and educator with an intense love of family, friends, movies, books and music. Compassionate yet challenged with a strong love of my creator.

I look forward to the next phase of my personal evolution.

Started with over seven pages went to three and ended up with less than one page. Not bad!

1 comment: