Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts on Sex

Why is sex a topic that make people clam up, blush, freak out, change the subject or otherwise show discomfort? Relax, lighten up and read on.

There are appropriate and not so appropriate settings to discuss sex but it should not be a taboo subject. Some images I'd rather not visualize so I get that sometimes people would rather not think about them let alone talk about them. Generalities are different though. The lines of communication should always be open especially between parent and child or between spouses.

I find sex to be a natural thing that should never be demonized. Nothing like telling someone sex is bad while growing up and then expect them to have a normal sex life later on.

I believe in sex education. People should know the risks and therefore make informed decisions. I don't think it is possible to teach abstinence but it is important for kids to know the parents rules/wishes. I believe if kids know what is right they will do what is right. They are kids though and should be reminded more than once.

My sex talk went something like this - Sex is a powerful act. The consequences are enormous. Birth control fails all the time. Condoms if not used right break or come off. You aren't allowed to have sex until you and your sexual partner are making enough money to raise a child and you have very good health insurance. If you decide to have sex you have to plan on raising the child, giving the child up for adoption or dieing. (All possible side affects from having sex.) If you have sex it should be with someone you know very well and are married to for the duration. In other words someone you plan to live with for the rest of your life. If the one you have sex with is not someone you could spend your life with then you should reconsider because chances are you could still be tied to that person for the rest of your life. When you have sex with someone you are also having sex with everyone they have had sex with (Gross!) so choose wisely.

As my kids began to date they were given the rules - No sex, no drugs, no alcohol and no smoking. I would give suitors the same sex talk I gave my own kids. Any guy that wanted to date my girls were also warned they could lose an appendage if they did not heed my advice to wait till marriage. Luckily two of my three sons waited till they were older to date.

Sex is something that should be shared by a committed couple and not random strangers. After all sex can kill! They didn't have these diseases 35 years ago. This information is a good deterrent for some young people.

Something as personal as a sex life should stay personal. Video taping is never a good idea. Still photos are also a bad idea. Even after marriage. They could get lost or heaven forbid you divorce and then what would happen.

As for me I am for sex with the right person, at the right time, in the right setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment